Yesterday I blogged about fargoPublisher and Heroku but I got pretty much everything wrong. Thanks to clarification from Dave Winer on the Fargo2 Google group, I finally got fargoPublisher working as intended.
First, follow Dave's Heroku for Poets tutorial. I created a Heroku app, and put the domain name of that app in the CMS settings in Fargo (at the top right, where your name is), e.g., app.herokuapp.com (not the real app name).
I registered the domain myblogoutline.com. And created an Amazon S3 bucket called myblogoutline.com (although I think you can call the bucket whatever you want, it doesn't have to coincide with the domain name). At my domain registrar, I have a wildcard CNAME ("*") pointing to app.herokuapp.com.
On the Heroku dashboard for my app, under domains, it shows the name of my app. I added to it *.myoutlineblog.com.
I have the following set up as config variables on the same settings page (minus the Amazon secret keys):
fpDataPath = /myblogoutline.com/data/ fpDomain = myblogoutline.com fpHostingPath = /myblogoutline.com/users/ fpRedirect = false fpServerPort = 80
I then created a new outline in Fargo, named it (File > Name Outline...) and added a few entries. When I put the cursor on a headline and clicked on the eye icon in the left rail, Fargo successfully opened the correct URL.
From what I understand from Dave, Heroku does all the serving of content, Amazon just stores the data.